Monday 25 July 2011

Norway 22 July 2011

There are no words to describe the horror that unfolded in Norway on the22nd of July 2011. So many, many people killed by a madman.

I've cried. I still cry when I think about the sheer terror they must have felt trying to hide, hearing him come closer, hearing friends and loved ones die. The waiting. The panic. wanting to call home, to speak to family for what might be the last time. Fear of calling home in case he hears it. The water. Stay or swim? Cold water. Currents. Limbs cramping up from panic and cold. Hide. "If I close my eyes so that I cannot see him come, would it mean I cannot be seen by him?"

I think about how I would have reacted and realise that I don't know. I guess it's something you'll never know until... and I pray that I'll never have to find out. That no one should have to find out ever again. One man has destroyed so many lives and affected so many more. We have to make sure that his vision for a more culture-conservative western Europe never happens. Terror cannot win. Love and respect for one and other MUST win. We must stand together, as one, as show with actions, words and kindness that he and the likes of him will fail no matter how hard they try. That we can move around, live in a society where we should not have to fear these things because no one should ever consider committing such crimes, to show such hate.

Love is the only way forward.

I did, however, squeeze Baby N extra hard when hugging him to say "bye" as I dropped him off at nursery earlier. All children should always, always come home from wherever they go.

My thoughts are with Norway and its people. And all my love.

Ems

No comments: