Wednesday 2 September 2009

Back Home Again

The 3 day wedding weekend has come and passed. God, it was so much fun it's almost unbelievable but tiring. Early mornings and late nights. Friday's Mehendi & Sangeet Night (henna and music) was good fun and I got my right hand -back and front- decorated with henna. It's lovely and still on as it can last up to 3 weeks if your careful and not soak hands in water etc. The bride was amazingly beautiful in a golden dress (lehenga choli) completely decorated with beads and pearls - and very heavy too.

Saturday morning we had to get up early-ish as it was civil service (the Hindu ceremony is not recognised by English Law). Again, the bride was dressed impeccably in Salwar Kameez (trousers and long 'tunic'. Groom was in nice suit. So they were really married after Saturday morning but still not, if you know what I mean.

Saturday night was an easy evening where a bunch of the Uni friends and partners went out for a meal and afterwards we had a few games in one of the Arcades. Boyfriend and I played Basketball game and I, of course, won. Ha ha ha! I also did one of the dance mat things and hopped along to Cotton Eyed Joe - not my choice- with 2 other girls, A & Dee. I sucked at the air hockey game and Boyfriend won comfortably.

Sunday morning was yet another early rise as the wedding ceremony was to take place at the hotel. As we were guess of the Groom, we met up where Groom got up on a horse (decorated) and then there was dancing by Bollywood Dreams (Bollywood dancers) and as Groom rode up to the hotel we all (yes, all of us) danced along the street where we were greeted by the Bride's family.

We then took place at the room where the ceremony was to take place and instead of the 5 hour ritual we sat through a really nice shortened version of 1 hour where the Hindu Priest explained as the ceremony went along. The Bride came in wearing an amazing bridal gown in red and gold, again fully beaded and decorated and probably loads heavier than Friday's dress. After the ceremony we were invited to a brunch with loads of Indian food which was lovely and very, very spicy. I wore a Lehenga Choli from India (Internet is great) and Boyfriend also wore an Indian outfit. He looked great.

Saturday afternoon was spent for leisure and we went to the Beach to play cricket and the boys played a bit of American Football. It was great fun and nice to be on the beach and feel the sand beneath my feet.

And then it was the Wedding Reception where I wore a black pencil skirt and a coral top from Coast. Nice and actually flattering despite my sizeable arse. The evening was brilliant and again the Bride had a fantastic dress, this time in silver. She did say, however, that it was getting a bit uncomfortable wearing such heavy dresses. Fantastic atmosphere though and the food was brilliant. It was a buffet [on each table] of Indian buffet and some of the dishes were spicier than I have ever tasted before. One dish in particular was so spicy I wanted to cry. It was nice though so I had to have another bite of it and another....

And after some more dancing by Bollywood Dreams (gorgeous girls) the evening was basically over and though it was great fun it was nice to go home at midnight and hop into bed. A full weekend of stuff to do and people to meet was awesome and I'd do it again in a heartbeat but it was very tiring. I was terrified of committing some horrible faux pas in front of all the Bride's family as some had travelled all the way from India and as much as I'd like to think I am aware of other cultures, there's always those little things that can be really embarrassing. But I don't think I did something that was very offensive, I gave Boyfriend a peck on the mouth and you don't really show affection openly in Indian culture but there was a couple who had a proper tonsil-hockey game on Friday's party so our tiny kiss was practically modest in comparison.

Am back in Sheffers now though and have a ton of laundry to do. Ta ta!

1 comment:

Laura said...

That sounds a wonderful experience, I'd love to see pictures if you have any! xx